Never Be Late

This is such a big issue with many I know who are never on time for anything. This clearly shows their lack of professionalism, which also shows how disorganized they are.
People recently asked me how I always manage to be on time. My response was, ‘It’s not how, its why’. Being on time is easy, if you really want to!
Few reasons why being late are bad, whether it’s for business, and personal, family or social commitments:
  1. It shows lack of interest, commitment or passion. Why would anyone hire a person who is late for an interview? Or do business with someone who can’t keep the first commitment? How could a relationship be a priority if our appointments with our loved ones are the first to be compromised?
  2. It demonstrates lack of respect for other people’s time. How do you feel when you somehow manage to show up on time, and then have to wait for the other person?
  3. It sets the wrong example for our family, friends and co-workers – especially for people who look up to us e.g. our children, students or subordinates.
Now some tips on how to be on time:
  1. Give importance. Decide to be on time. Don’t participate in anything half-heartedly.
  2. Plan ahead. Be realistic about how long does it take to get ready and get there. Expect the traffic and other things to go wrong.
  3. Positive affirmations. Telling yourself, ‘I am always on time’ works better than ‘I am always late!’
“I never could have done what I have done without the habits of punctuality, order, and diligence, without the determination to concentrate myself on one subject at a time.” (Charles Dickens)